How healthy are you?
With our health assessments you get an action plan that’s tailor-made for you.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0370 218 8122∧
Did our Effects of smoking information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Smoking cessation. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised March 2018
- Smoking cessation. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 2020
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated April 2019
- Cutaneous manifestations of smoking. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated July 2018
- Menopause. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated June 2018
- Passive smoking and lung disease. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated June 2016
- Colic. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated November 2017
- Tobacco. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision August 2018
- Asthma. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2019
- Fertility problems: assessment and treatment. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 2013 (updated 2017). www.nice.org.uk
- Smoking: stopping in pregnancy and after childbirth. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 2010. www.nice.org.uk
- Thomsen T, Villebro N, Møller AM. Interventions for preoperative smoking cessation. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, issue 3. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD002294.pub4
- Statistics on smoking England – 2019. National statistics and NHS Digital. digital.nhs.uk, published July 2019
- Smoking and cancer. Cancer Research UK. cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed December 2018
- Personal habits and indoor combustions: IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans, Volume 100E. International Agency for Research on Cancer, 2012. iarc.fr
- Smoking and pregnancy. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 2015. rcog.org.uk
- Smoking, the heart and circulation. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2016. ash.org
- Smoking and respiratory disease. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2015. ash.org
- How smoking affects the way you look. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2018. ash.org
- Smoking and reproduction. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2016. ash.org
- Secondhand smoke. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2020. ash.org
- Young people and smoking. Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), 2019. ash.org
- Every breath we take: the lifelong impact of air pollution. Royal College of Physicians, 2016. rcplondon.ac.uk
- Smoking and the risk of stroke. Stroke Association. stroke.org.uk, published January 2019
- Tobacco and postsurgical outcomes. World Health Organisation knowledge summary, 2020. who.int
- Is any type of smoking safe? American Cancer Society. cancer.org, last revised November 2018