at home PCR test
Please note individuals who have had COVID-19 in the past 90 days may continue to test positive or show unclear results.
The COVID-19 at home PCR testing kit contains a nasal/throat swab and instructions of how to carry out the test to see if you are infected with COVID-19. You will receive your home testing kit on the appropriate day depending on the type of test you order and receive your result within 48 hours of your COVID test getting back to our partner lab†.
†Subject to Royal Mail services running normally. Bupa does not accept any responsibility or liability for losses arising as a result of any delay, if the test result is not provided to you within your required timescale as may be set by you or any third party.
Why should I buy a Bupa COVID-19 PCR test ?
- We're partnered with Everything Genetic - a UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accredited laboratory - to do our testing you don’t need to be a Bupa insurance customer
- A follow up call with a nurse valid within 3 months of your test if you have further questions or concerns
- Get your result within 48 hours of the test arriving back at our partner lab ††
- One price includes the COVID-19 test and follow up advice
The test can confirm if you have COVID-19. A positive result confirms that you are currently infected, and you and your household should therefore follow government guidelines on self-isolation.
The test works by taking a swab from the back of the throat and inner nostril. The swab is then sent to the lab, where they will analyse the sample by looking for the virus’ genetic material.
The Standard test, Test to Travel, Day 2 and Test to Release are £99. Days 2 & 8 together are £149. This is inclusive of postage costs and one follow up support call with a nurse.
Our partner laboratory aims to deliver results within 48 hours of the kit being received at the lab.
The accuracy of PCR testing is based on two things, firstly the accuracy of using a swab as a technique for detecting COVID-19, and secondly the accuracy of test that the laboratory uses.
- Research suggests the sensitivity (ability to pick-up individuals who are infected with COVID-19) when using a swab is between 70-90%. This means that some individuals who are infected may still get a negative result, which is true of all PCR testing. The sensitivity (ability to detect COVID-19 in someone who has it) of Everything Genetic’s laboratory test is over 99%.
- The specificity (ability to correctly produce a negative result in those who don’t have COVID-19) of this PCR test is also over 99%. This means that 99% of individuals who do not have COVID-19 will correctly be identified as having a negative result.
The accuracy of a test is based on a combination of these factors, and gives information about infection at the time it was taken – it can’t predict whether someone might develop COVID-19 after taking the test. A negative result does not completely rule out current infection and it is therefore essential to follow social distancing guidelines. Those with symptoms should follow government guidance on self-isolation.
The chances of getting a false positive test result (testing positive when you don’t have COVID-19) is very low.
Our test can detect known coronavirus variants. The accuracy of our PCR tests is not reduced in the context of the new variant strain of coronavirus. We regularly compare our tests with the global database of variants of COVID-19, to ensure that this ability is maintained.
This depends on the type of test you order.
- Test to Travel- your kit(s) will be dispatched as soon as you have completed payment and completed the mandatory information in your customer portal.
- Days 2 & 8- your kit(s) will be dispatched on the day you arrive in England. You will need to provide this date when you enter your mandatory information in the customer portal
- Test to Release- your kit(s)will be dispatched on the 4th day following your arrival in England. You will need to provide this date when you enter your mandatory information in the customer portal.
Please note if the mandatory information is completed after 15:00 the kit will be dispatched the next day excluding Sundays and bank holidays.
Please contact the firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss next step
Yes, you can order multiple test kits to a single location. Please make sure you gain consent for before you purchase kits on another person’s behalf.
If you are ordering the COVID-19 PCR test for a child under 16 you must be the child’s legal guardian and or have legal authority to agree to the use of the test and to receive results on their behalf.
If you are ordering the test for someone who cannot consent to having the COVID-19 test you must have a legal right to consent on their behalf.
No, however all test kits are sent out by Royal Mail Tracked 24, If you purchase multiple test kits, each person’s test kit will arrive individually and will fit through a standard letterbox. You will not be required to sign for the delivery.
You can order a test if you don’t live in the UK to be delivered to an address in England. If the address is a non-residential address, please ensure you have permission for the test to be delivered.
You will receive your result by text message and an email notification that your result is available to view on your customer portal as soon as the lab have processed your test. Please note that results for tests even if posted back at the same time might arrive at different times.
No, currently we are not offering in centre PCR testing. The tests we provide are home testing kits.
You may receive an unclear result for one of the following reasons:
- Rejected sample- this may occur if the lid of the sample comes lose during transit and the fluid within the sample container leaks. Please ensure the lid is on tight before posting your sample and do not remove the liquid from the sample container.
- Void Sample- When the swabbing was conducted, not enough sample was gathered to obtain a clear result.
- Inconclusive- This suggests that low levels of the virus were detected. However the levels of virus were too low to say that someone is truly positive and too high to say someone is truly negative for COVID-19. Our PCR test looks at two separate parts of the virus, so this result could be that only one part has been detected. Such a result occurs when someone is within the very early stages or the very late stages of an infection.
In all cases as outlined above we will be unable to offer a refund. You may need to undertake another test at an additional cost.
- Test to Travel – If you have not undertaken the test you can keep the kit for future use, please note the kits are valid for 12 months from date of purchase.
- Days 2, 8 and Test to Release – Please contact email@example.com to inform us of the changes to your travel plans, the team will be able to amend any travel details to ensure the kits arrive on the appropriate day.
Please visit our terms and conditions (PDF 0.2MB) for further details of our refund policy.
Bupa has access to a limited number of tests to provide to customers. This limit is refreshed daily so please check back on the following day if you are unable to purchase your home testing kit(s).
††Royal Mail Tracked 24 Postage is included in the price of your kit. Delivery times are subject to royal mail services running normally.
Bupa Anytime HealthLine is provided by Bupa Occupational Health Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 631336. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London EC2R 7HJ
Bupa Occupational Health Limited provides testing for COVID-19 by working together with Everything Genetic Limited.
Bupa Occupational Health Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 631336. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London EC2R 7HJ.