Coronavirus (COVID-19) at home
Order online for £149
How does our COVID-19 at home PCR testing service work?
Why should I buy a COVID-19 at home PCR test with Bupa?
- We're partnered with Everything Genetic - an accredited laboratory - to do our testing
- You don’t need to be a Bupa insurance customer
- A follow up call with a nurse valid for 3 months after your test, if you have further questions or concerns
- Get a result within 48 hours of the test arriving back at our partner lab
- One transparent price includes the test and follow up advice
The test can confirm if you have COVID-19. A positive result confirms that you are currently infected, and you should therefore follow government guidelines on self-isolation.
The test works by taking a swab from the back of the throat and inner nostril. The swab is then sent to the lab, where they will analyse the sample by looking for the virus’ genetic material.
The test costs £149, inclusive of courier return to the lab, and one follow-up support call with our team of clinicians.
The accuracy of the test is based on two things, firstly the accuracy of using a swab as a technique for detecting COVID-19, and secondly the accuracy of test that the laboratory uses.
- Research suggests the sensitivity (ability to pick-up individuals who are infected with COVID-19) when using a swab is between 70-90%. This means some individuals with a negative result may still be infected. The specificity of the test is over 99%. This means if you do have COVID-19 the test has a 99% accuracy level of detecting it
- In terms of the tests that our Laboratory use to analyse the sample the sensitivity and specificity is over 99%
Because a negative result does not rule out current infection, it is essential to continue to follow social distancing guidelines, and for those with ongoing symptoms to follow government guidance on self-isolation.
The chances of getting a false positive test result is very low.
Bupa Occupational Health Limited provides testing for COVID-19 by working together with Everything Genetic Limited.
Bupa Occupational Health Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 631336. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London EC2R 7HJ.