at home PCR test
Please note individuals who have had COVID-19 in the past 90 days may continue to test positive or show unclear results.
The COVID-19 at home testing kits will arrive within 48 hours with instructions on how to carry out the test to see if you are infected with COVID-19.
Why should I buy a Bupa COVID-19 test ?
- We're partnered with Everything Genetic - a UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accredited laboratory - to do our testing You don’t need to be a Bupa insurance customer.
- You’ll be entitled to a follow up call with a nurse valid within three months of your test if you have further questions or concerns
- Get your PCR result within 48 hours of the test arriving back at our partner lab ††
- One price includes the COVID-19 test and follow up advice
These tests can confirm if you have COVID-19. A positive result confirms that you are currently infected, and you and your household should therefore follow government guidelines on self-isolation.
PCR – this test works by taking a swab from the back of the throat and inner nostril. The swab is then sent to the lab, where they will analyse the sample by looking for the virus' genetic material.
LFT – this test works by taking a mid-nasal swab, putting it in a solution and using a pipette to drop the solution into a cassette. Full instructions are provided.
The Standard test is £99. LFTs are £17.50 each. This is inclusive of postage costs and one follow-up support call with a nurse.
PCR – Our partner laboratory aims to deliver results within 48 hours of the kit being received at the lab.
LFT – you should usually get your results within 30 minutes but it can be up to six hours.
The accuracy of PCR testing is based on two things, firstly the accuracy of using a swab as a technique for detecting COVID-19, and secondly the accuracy of test that the laboratory uses.
- Research suggests the sensitivity (ability to pick-up individuals who are infected with COVID-19) when using a swab is between 70-90%. This means that some individuals who are infected may still get a negative result, which is true of all PCR testing. The sensitivity (ability to detect COVID-19 in someone who has it) of Everything Genetic’s laboratory test is over 99%.
- The specificity (ability to correctly produce a negative result in those who don’t have COVID-19) of this PCR test is also over 99%. This means that 99% of individuals who do not have COVID-19 will correctly be identified as having a negative result.
The accuracy of a test is based on a combination of these factors, and gives information about infection at the time it was taken – it can’t predict whether someone might develop COVID-19 after taking the test. A negative result does not completely rule out current infection and it is therefore essential to follow social distancing guidelines. Those with symptoms should follow government guidance on self-isolation.
The chances of getting a false positive test result (testing positive when you don’t have COVID-19) is very low.
We have clinical trials from the UK, USA, Sweden and China which show a combined accuracy of 98.6% (96.8% diagnostic sensitivity and 99.3% specificity). The test kits are CE marked for home use.
Our test can detect known coronavirus variants. The accuracy of our PCR tests is not reduced in the context of the new variant strain of coronavirus. We regularly compare our tests with the global database of variants of COVID-19, to ensure that this ability is maintained.
Please contact the firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss next step
Yes, you can order multiple test kits to a single location. Please make sure you gain consent for before you purchase kits on another person’s behalf.
If you are ordering the COVID-19 PCR test for a child under 16 you must be the child’s legal guardian and or have legal authority to agree to the use of the test and to receive results on their behalf.
If you are ordering the test for someone who cannot consent to having the COVID-19 test you must have a legal right to consent on their behalf.
No, however all test kits are sent out by Royal Mail Tracked 24, If you purchase multiple test kits, each person’s test kit will arrive individually and will fit through a standard letterbox. You will not be required to sign for the delivery.
You can order a test if you don’t live in the UK to be delivered to an address in England. If the address is a non-residential address, please ensure you have permission for the test to be delivered.
You will receive your result by text message and an email notification that your result is available to view on your customer portal as soon as the lab have processed your test. Please note that results for tests even if posted back at the same time might arrive at different times.
No, currently we are not offering in centre PCR testing. The tests we provide are home testing kits.
You may receive an unclear result for one of the following reasons:
- Rejected sample- this may occur if the lid of the sample comes lose during transit and the fluid within the sample container leaks. Please ensure the lid is on tight before posting your sample and do not remove the liquid from the sample container.
- Void Sample- When the swabbing was conducted, not enough sample was gathered to obtain a clear result.
- Inconclusive- This suggests that low levels of the virus were detected. However the levels of virus were too low to say that someone is truly positive and too high to say someone is truly negative for COVID-19. Our PCR test looks at two separate parts of the virus, so this result could be that only one part has been detected. Such a result occurs when someone is within the very early stages or the very late stages of an infection.
In all cases as outlined above we will be unable to offer a refund. You may need to undertake another test at an additional cost.
Bupa has access to a limited number of tests to provide to customers. This limit is refreshed daily so please check back on the following day if you are unable to purchase your home testing kit(s).
††Royal Mail Tracked 24 Postage is included in the price of your kit. Delivery times are subject to royal mail services running normally.
Bupa Anytime HealthLine is provided by Bupa Occupational Health Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 631336. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London EC2R 7HJ
Bupa Occupational Health Limited provides testing for COVID-19 by working together with Everything Genetic Limited.
Bupa Occupational Health Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 631336. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London EC2R 7HJ.