- Sleeping well. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, updated September 2015
- Insomnia. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked 22 July 2014
- Insomnia. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 27 November 2017
- Paruthi S, Brooks LI, D'Ambrosio C, et al. Recommended amount of sleep for pediatric populations: a consensus statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. J Clin Sleep Med 2016; 12(6):785–86. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.5866
- Watson NF, Badr MS, Belenky G, et al. Recommended amount of sleep for a healthy adult: a joint consensus statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and Sleep Research Society. Sleep 2015; 38(6):843–44. doi: 10.5665/sleep.4716
- Insomnia. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated April 2018
- Snoring. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked 15 September 2014
- Carter B, Rees P, Hale L, et al. A meta-analysis of the effect of media devices on sleep outcomes. JAMA Pediatr 2016; 170(12):1202–8. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2016.2341
- Feeling stressed. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, published June 2015
- Generalized anxiety disorder. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised October 2017
Reviewed by Rachael Mayfield-Blake, Freelance Health Editor, September 2018.
Expert reviewer: Ana Noia, Senior Clinical Physiologist in Neurophysiology and Sleep, Bupa Cromwell Hospital
Next review due September 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.