- Mental health and behavioral conditions. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. www.nice.org.uk [accessed April 2017]
- Psychosis and schizophrenia. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, February 2015
- Bipolar disorder. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summary. cks.nice.org.uk, October 2015.
- Generalised anxiety and panic disorder in adults: management. NICE Clinical guideline CG113, January 2011. www.nice.org.uk
- Professions. Health and Care Professions Council. www.hcpc-uk.org [accessed April 2017]
- Psychosis and schizophrenia in adults: prevention and management. NICE Clinical guideline CG178, February 2014
- Depression in adults: recognition and management. NICE Clinical guideline CG90, last updated April 2016
- Hofmann, Stefan G et al. The Effect of Mindfulness-Based Therapy on Anxiety and Depression: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 78.2 (2010): 169–183
- Segal, Williams & Teasdale. Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression. Second Edition. The Guildford Press, 2012
- Kabat-Zinn. Full Catastrophe Living, Revised Edition: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation. Piatkus; Revised edition, 2013
- Mental Health Act 1983. legislation.gov.uk [accessed April 2017]
- Eating well and mental health. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk [accessed April 2017]
- Lawrence D, Bolitho S. The Complete Guide to Physical Activity and Mental Health. A&C Black Publishers: London, 2011
- Paunio et al. Sleep, work and mental health. Psychiatria Fennica 2015;46:5,566
- Smith, JC. Relaxation, Meditation, & Mindfulness: A Mental Health Practitioner's Guide. New York: Springer Publishing Company Ltd, 2005
- Mental Health Peer Support in England. Mind. www.mind.org.uk [accessed April 2017]
Produced by Clare Foster, freelance health editor, and Nick Ridgman, Head of Health Content, Bupa UK, September 2017
Next review due September 2020
Bupa UK expert reviewers:
- Naomi Humber, Psychology Services Manager, EAP
- Stuart Haydock, Resilience Lead, Health Clinics
- Sarah Deedat, Head of Behaviour Change
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.