- Acute appendicitis. BMJ BestPractice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed May 2018
- Appendicitis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, February 2016
- Appendicitis. PatientPlus. www.patient.info, last checked 23 July 2014
- Gastrointestinal medicine. Oxford handbook of general practice. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published April 2014
- Colorectal surgery. Oxford handbook of operative surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published May 2017
- Personal communication, Mrs Sara Badvie, Consultant Laparoscopic, Colorectal and General Surgeon, 20 July 2018
- Sauerland S, Jaschinski T, Neugebauer EAM. Laparoscopic versus open surgery for suspected appendicitis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD001546. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001546.pub3
- Laparoscopic appendectomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 27 August 2017
- Open appendectomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 18 August 2017
- Pediatric appendicitis. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 23 August 2017
- Assessment of acute abdomen. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed June 2018
Reviewed by Pippa Coulter, Freelance Health Editor, August 2018.
Expert reviewer Mrs Sara Badvie, Consultant Laparoscopic, Colorectal and General Surgeon.
Next review due August 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.